Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Custom Cabinetry


With the bones of our kitchen completed, I thought it would be good to share some spaces which have helped inspire me (us!!) along the way. I've mentioned this gorgeous kitchen by Windsor Smith before and it still ticks all the boxes for me. I love the overall classic vibe to the space to which more informal and textural layers have been added.


The lovely Virginia of Blue Fruit left a comment the other day (thanks Virginia!) regarding our wall units (or lack of them). We opted not to use them in our kitchen this time round for a few reasons. Whilst they are fundamental in a space where storage is crucial, we're lucky enough that the number of base units in our kitchen will suffice and I've always loved the idea of simple open shelving on which to mix and match my kitchen items.


This was the space a month or so ago, looking from what will be the living/dining area into the corner of the kitchen. Our base units run the entire length of the wall to the right hand side with a central island and tall units to the top left corner of the room which is out of shot.


To me, open shelving has such versatility and the possibilities are endless. Simple, neutral crockery looks great stacked in a pared-back scheme, whilst splashes of colour can be introduced by displaying coloured vessels, glassware and favourite objects.


Clusters and collections displayed on these shelves almost become a work of art themselves in these spaces. I quite like the idea of using our shelves to prop up large pieces of art (once they're fitted) and interspersing them with items we'll be using on an everyday basis.


I have to say, I really don't think you can go wrong with stunning cabinets like these and if we were going for a more traditional look and had some extra pennies, I would definitely have considered a more bespoke option and would have designed something similar. I'm sure I would have found something to store in them!!


Whilst my style is a good dose of old with a splash of new, I have to say I do love the clean lines of these contemporary units.


Double-bank units look extremely effective if you're lucky enough to have the ceiling height.


More stunning joinery...


...and talk about saving the best till last. How about this for some bespoke storage? 
Complete with gorgeous ladders too. Mmm!

So, what does your ideal kitchen look like? x


Images via: To come tomorrow... (laptops about to die!!)

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the Windsor Smith kitchen...stunning in every way. Open shelving is so refreshing and the last image with the ladder...fabulous!! Thrilled to find and follow your beautiful blog ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for your comment! I'm so pleased you've stumbled on and enjoyed my little blog. It's lovely knowing some people are reading it out there...when I get round to posting that is!! I look forward to keeping up to date with your lovely blog too. Lex x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love every single image here Lex! Especially the Windsor Smith one, keep going back to analyse it to see why it works so well. VB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Virginia! I think it's safe to say it's a firm favourite amongst us 'designers'! I don't think I can pinpoint my favourite element either! x

    ReplyDelete