Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Room update



Small but perfectly formed is how I'd describe it. Actually, forget the perfectly formed bit....let's just say the spirit level came into it's own when this room was being boarded!! 


This is how the space looked beforehand.


Before we even began stripping the room we knew we wanted to use traditional style fittings throughout. It's been great unpacking the boxes as they've arrived, like Christmas has come early! 

Who'd have thought I'd get so excited about a basin too?!


As we're working on creating our very own family home for the first time, every little decision, no matter how small has felt huge as we really want it to be the right one! Our decision with the shower room has been whether to keep it light, or make it dark and sumptuous!


With small, box-like rooms, I'm always tempted to go with their small proportions, paint them deep rich colours and embrace the cocooning effect they can have, rather than trying every tactic to make them appear bigger. 


However, the sunlight in this room first thing is lovely and we figured a morning shower in a light and breezy space would be far more invigorating. Perhaps the darker option would have me sneaking back off to bed for an extra hour or two!...(there's always the other bathroom!) 


I know most of these images are not shower rooms as such but each one has an element which I like. I love the simplicity and freshness of the image top left and the classic design to the floor, top right.  The basketweave tiled floor to the room above is a nice decorative touch.


We stopped by one of our local tile showrooms last week and I fell in love with these straight away... although didn't quite love the price as much!! Typical! I am very much of the thinking though, that in certain situations you should invest in items you truly love, rather than using something just because it's the cheaper option. In the long-run you'll get far more pleasure out of that item and will appreciate your initial expenditure.

That said, we have a huge list of items and fittings which need to be picked for the house and we'd prefer to invest a little more money in pieces that will hopefully be with us forever, such as classic furniture pieces and decorative light fittings.


So, after all that,  here's the latest...not set in stone but pretty much the route we'll be going. 

Elongated subway tiles in a soft grey marble-effect gloss, which rather than a matt tile, should help to bounce a little extra light around the space. Floor tiles - I'm veering towards the hexagonal mosaics with a darker grey grout. I think the black and white would feel more 'Deco' and as much as I'm a big fan of the Art Deco style, I'm now hoping to create a more tonal feel to the space.

I know you may think blaagh....but by keeping everything simple, I feel I can switch up the space easily using different accessories when the mood takes me. 

You might notice the snakeskin effect wallpaper in the background. This is a great hard-wearing paper from Tektura which I'm looking to use on one or two small areas. Can't wait to get it started!

Will keep you posted! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment